Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I should change the title to Phd and some kind of Mommy word

So, I'm a terrible blogger.  I never update.  But lots of things have happened since my last post.  The most exciting being that my son was born!  Baby Ethan decided to arrive early at 36 weeks.  This definitely put a wrench in my academic plans of finishing two chapters before giving birth.  I had finished 1 unedited chapter and 20 pages of a second chapter.  At the hospital, I was begging my husband to send my drafts to my advisor.  He ignored me.

But all that drama sort of just melts away as I am so blissful (albeit a sleepless state of bliss) over the arrival of my son.  He is perfect - with chubby cheeks and all.  He is perfect - despite his refusal to latch on during breast feeding.  I have to remind myself that otherwise, I'll fall into postpartum depression.

There are so many things that I want to write about now that I am officially a mother of a beautiful newborn boy.

My wonderful conversation with a nurse during my labor about the unfair and racist healthcare practices particularly against immigrants.

The movies I watched during labor.

Only 25 minutes of pushing and out pops Ethan.

My struggles with trying to fit in with granola type moms.  I bought the cloth diapers, baby carriers, did the yoga - but I got an epidural.

The heteronormativity of the birthing industry - including newborn care classes, lamaze classes, breastfeeding groups, etc.

Struggling (already) with work and baby.  I need some kind of strategy or routine.

Realizing that I need to cover his wee wee while changing his diaper otherwise he'll wee wee all over me, the wall, the pediatrician, etc.

Appreciating my parents more.

Having my mom's support.

Fears of judgment about breastfeeding, my terrible diaper changing skills, and taking my baby out in public.

Baby carrier drama.

Needing to stop looking up every "symptom" of sickness online.

I know I can think of more.  I hope to eventually write about all these things while finishing my dissertation, applying for jobs, and loving my little baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment